04 December 2010

Get your Free $money$


College is expensive, period. Weather it's books, parking, or tuition and fees it all adds up. Scholarships are a very important aspect to assist you in that challenge. It's really quite simple, if you want free money it doesn't hurt to apply and see what you can get.
El Camino has entered scholarship season. From, now until Feb. 28 students can apply online for scholarships. Chatting with Kahea Kamahele, Scholarship Coordinator, I found out what students must do to apply. The minimum GPA required is a 2.0. Students must have completed a minimum of 6 units at El Camino. Kamahele radiated with passion. Students need one letter of recommendation from a faculty member, a personal statement essay, and a financial need essay. She really wants students to win these scholarships. "It's free money you don't have to pay back," she said. There are about 300 scholarships this year, as well as a lot of brand new ones. They range anywhere from $150 to $5,000. Kamahele also explained that with the transfer of the application process to online, many students find it easier to apply.
As I began to interview students I received mixed emotions towards scholarships. Some students said they were too lazy to apply, others said they continually apply because you never know how many students are in the pool to get one. Solimar Flowers, 30, sociology major, especially stood out. Scholarships are what get her through her journey at El Camino. "Without scholarships, I don't think I could be attending El Camino," she said. She has won so many scholarships she attends college for free. They have made it easier for her. When expressing her story, Flowers is very appreciative of the opportunities she's been offered. Scholarships offered range from club involvement, volunteer work, merit-based, and alumni donations. "If you don't get it apply again, Flowers said, there's a lot of free money out there; you just have to work for it."
I can now say I will take applying for scholarships more seriously. I attended a scholarship workshop at UCLA, after reporting this story. It really impacted me and informed me on how to be a star applicant. Your letters of recommendation are extremely important, so choose well on who will be writing about you. I hope to win scholarships in my future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment