15 September 2010

the rush of all clubs

My first assignment for The Union, at El Camino, was to write a story on club rush. Club rush happens when all the clubs on campus come together to recruit new members and inform students on their current issues.
I interviewed Nic Mitchell, ICC president of El Camino. ICC is the Inter-Club council which represents all the clubs on campus. Each club elects a member to represent them at the ICC meetings. The member then communicates back to the club, what other clubs are doing and yields for interconnection between various clubs.
Mitchell explained that club rush exemplifies community, voluntarism, and involvement. Some students I interviewed displayed strong apathy towards club involvement. As I interviewed students, I felt like I informed them of some of the opportunities this campus has to offer. It gave me a sense of accomplishment. :)
Mitchell explained to me that despite some students lack of involvement, membership amongst clubs seems to be increasing, based on all the table requests for the rush. Many new clubs sprung up this semester. Some of those include: Badminton Club, Persian Cultural CLub, Hong Kong Society, Women In Technology, and Japanese Cultural Club.
Ultimately, students should join clubs to gain one of the fundamental parts of the college experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment