The first day, I attended the workshop entitled "Radio's Resilience". This workshop discussed why getting a career in radio is still a viable option. The speaker, Dr. Brent Foster, who teaches at Cal state Fullerton. He discussed that adaptation is key and timing is everything. He also talked about the different ways journalism is evolving and how, we, as students, can become hirable.
Another workshop I went to was led by Kate McLaughlin. She discussed, with humor, how to read the teleprompter. Her stories dealing with how she got hired and dealing with the entertainment industry were funny.
The last workshop I went to dealt with public relations and social media. It gave me insight into how new media changed the game. The woman explained how blogs and social media, like Facebook and Twitter, are evolving journalism. She discussed specific cases where social media broke stories. For instance, the Kevin Smith scandal dealing with Southwest Airlines telling him he was too fat to ride the plane. Traditional media never picked it up, everything was online. It became more personal. Everything happens instantaneously and in real time, the speaker said. A very important quote she left us with is "The internet isn't written in pencil.."
The keynote speaker, Isa Ghani, CSUF editor-in-chief, addressed the issue of multimedia now being the prominent media. He allowed me to think of new ways to approach the media and my school's newspaper.
I definitely learned a lot and am glad I attended. I am energized and ready for the constant changes evolving in media today.
No comments:
Post a Comment