Well, at The Union Online, we decided to bring attention to the taboo topic by shooting an imovie for the "People on the Street", weekly video.
I began the journey with my co-reporter, Viridiana Vaca-Rios. We set out around campus to find students who would share their points of view. Some were open for discussion, others hid in shame and were not so willing to share.
Entering the field, we approached a diverse spectrum of individuals. I particularly enjoyed the 2 males in our video who debate the topic, next to each other, it allows the viewer to see both sides of the issue. They brought up good points: the sanction of marriage and the loss of a meaningful relationship versus the opposing side, of being that sexual intercourse brings you closer to your partner which could lead to a meaningful relationship.
I believe many people have misconceptions about sex. I think many students felt that discussing sex (on camera, for that matter) may lead to preconceived judgments about them. Some students, didn't tell the whole truth when answering the question, "Would you have sex on the first date?" Again, I think it was because they were on camera, they skewed their answers to what the moral answer is...NO. In actuality, I believe many college students engage in sex on the first date. I mean, hello, the term "one night stand" screams college student. I'm not saying everyone in college is promiscuous by any means, I just believe people skewed their answers in our video to portray what they believe people would want them to say or what is "politically correct". All in all, we had a greater amount of cons rather than pros.
Overall, I enjoyed this project. It was fun and allowed me to engage in my reporting skills, first hand, by approaching complete strangers. I love that feeling. It also let me see many different opinions and viewpoints of student's on campus while promoting the new website. www.eccunion.com :)
Watch our video now:
No comments:
Post a Comment